Completed in 1861 Morland Hall was always about prestige, using brick brought from Lancaster rather than local stone, its early life was one of luxury serving as a country house for local gentry until the WWII. The outstanding building was abandoned after a short spell as a red cross hospital in 1945 at which point the roof slate was sold. The subsequently decline was rapid and considerable and the house was a ruin by 1999 lost in rubble and foliage with no upper floors and substantial trees growing out of the former dining room.
We were part of the team that dramatically brought Morland Hall back to life with the appropriate use of traditional materials, carefully detailed oak panelling and successful integration of modern design. This attention to detail was recognized by Eden District Council in 2007 who awarded it winner of their Conservation Design Award. Our role as architect brought together an enthusiastic and knowledgeable client, their local builder, keen to learn traditional techniques, and the approval of the local authority. As part of the work we organised training for lime plastering. We saw this project from early discussions with the Lake District National Park Planners, through consents and production drawings to site supervision. The budget for the project was £1,000,000. As well restoring the 8 double bedroom country house this project included refurbishing a service range and a separate barn conversion that became three independent holiday lets.