Crosby Granger Architects were awarded the project to carry out the analytical architectural investigation, costed condition survey and feasibility study for development of the fortified house of Burneside Hall South Lakeland and the Ruinous Gleaston Castle, Cumbria.
The project’s aim was to carry out full historical assessments of the sites in order to better understand the significance and their social and political history within the region between the 14th and 16th Century. Full condition surveys and structural surveys were also carried out, which included costed recommendations for repair.
The project also required Crosby Granger Architects to appraise the repair costs and produce a feasibility study for the appropriate conservation and if appropriate, the sustainable reuse of each site in order to ensure their removal from the Heritage at Risk Register. Options appraisals for both sites were carried out, with costed plans put forward in a final recommendation report to assist with grant funding.
The feasibility study of the sites explored the future management and development, taking into account:
• Historic, architectural and archaeological significance,
• Repair and development costs,
• Funding options,
• Planning constraints/opportunities.
DISCIPLINES COVERED IN COMMISSION:
• Site evaluation and historic building assessments, including condition and structural surveys,
• Assessment of historic, architectural and archaeological significance,
• Undertaking options appraisals and feasibility studies for the sympathetic repair and conservation of the buildings,
• Stakeholder engagement and developing proposals that enable the sustainable management of each site.
We were awarded the project to carry out the analytical architectural investigation, costed condition survey and feasibility study for development of the fortified house of the Ruinous Gleaston Castle, Cumbria.
We were appointed to carry out the historical research, assessment, and strategic management review, and develop and publish a Conservation Management Plan for Furness Abbey and Piel Castle, both in the Guardianship of English Heritage.
We are engaged as the Castle and Estate architects, researching, investigating, surveying, specifying and over-seeing works.